Wednesday, May 31, 2006

In the Blink of an Eye

My girlfriend Diana and her son Layne have been here for about a week so that we can get prepared for our 19th annual yard sale. In amoungst pricing and sorting items, I've been working at the office in the mornings, planning meals to everyones liking, trying to be a good wife and mother. Just being busy. Earlier tonight as I was stirring dinner, I hear a siren approaching and wonder what could have happened and where? Fire? Car wreck? When the siren stops at my driveway. My heart stops then races. I knew nothing was wrong at our house, so who are they looking for? My aunt and uncle next door? My Mom or Dad? My brother or sil? Or one of their boys? Who? It gives me peace that my family lives so close together, until times like this. I immediately call my parents house and when a close friend of Mom's answers the phone I know there is a trouble. Connie tells me my Dad has collapsed. I'm one of these people who stays in control in a crisis so I turn down the burners on the stove and announce to Hubster and Diana I will be right back that I have to run down to Mom and Dad's. When I arrive the ambulance crew is in the process of trying to get Dad off the floor onto the stretcher. Mom's eyes are round and frightened as I hold her and soothe her. When they get Dad on the stretcher I approached in order to place my hand on him and look in his eyes to acknowledge I am there for him and for Mom. When I look in his eyes, I say "Daddy." He turns to my voice and in his eyes I see nothing. No acknowledgement, no fear, no pain...nothing. Immediately I feel fear, but I push it aside. I make sure Mom has all of Dad's medication. I make sure she knows their dog Sissy will be taken care of. I let her know I will be following her down to the hospital. On the way home I'm planning. I'll have Diana drive me so Hubster can be with the boys in case I'm gone overnight. I change into jeans and grab a jacket since it has still been chilly at night. When we arrive at the hospital Dad is in the ER. He's still consious but this time when I approach I see Daddy's eyes looking into mine. We are informed he has had a stroke. Dad remembers everything. He and Mom were having a dinner party out on the deck. He went into the kitchen for something and he said his whole right side went numb and he collapsed to the floor. Mom didn't hear him call out at first, but when she did she found him on the floor unable to move. Apparently when I arrived was at the worst moment for he said he knew what was happening, but couldn't respond. At the ER he progressively regained feeling and strength. At one point it was just Dad & I in the room and I could tell he was feeling discomfort. He said he had a tightness in his chest. The doctor took him for a chest xray & did an ekg. Nothing showed on either test to explain the chest pain. They had given him a drug that would prevent further stroke or heart problems when Dad arrived in the ER. Because of the medication we were waiting for Life Flight to take him to a bigger sister hospital. He needed to be near a surgeon if need any complications arose. As we were waiting for the helicopter I asked Dad if he still had the chest pain and if it was steady or came & went. He replied it would come & go. To lighten the mood I asked him if the pain came on when I walked in the room. Dad very seriously said "No, when you come in the pain is here.", pointing at his right butt cheek. At that point I knew he was whole and my Daddy. I'm worried, but I have this feeling that all will be well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jo, I'm sorry. Thinking good thoughts *hard* that he's OK...