Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Enough with the rain already!

I know we need the rain, but come on already. We actually had some sunshine for about 5 hours today and of course I was stuck in my office, but I did get to go out in the glorious sun when I went to do the deposit. My flowerbeds are so overgrown with weeds that I can't even tell where or what I planted last summer. Rain or shine this weekend I'm going to have to get out there and just weed. I just went and checked the forecast and Thursday is suppose to hit 71 degrees and sunny!! That's more like it.

Today was the last day of Steven's spring break and we pretty much spent it being lazy. I of course planned on sleeping in late for four glorious mornings, but the boys were not so inclined. Every morning I was either awakened to giggles, crying, or fighting. And since I had to get up early for work this morning, they of course did not want to get up from there warm cuddly beds making me run behind. Little shits. Loved little shits though.

Tomorrow is Steven's first t-ball practice and I shall be officially shoved into the wonderful world of sport mom. I am so dreading when Dean gets old enough to play since they are 2 years apart I'll be driving from one end of the county to the other chauffeuring them from one game to the other. I am vowing right now I am not getting a mini van. No way! Steven is so excited for t-ball he had a hard time falling asleep tonight. Since Hubster won't be home from work yet when practice starts I'm taking Dean with me. I just hope he understands that he can't go and play ball along side his brother. I'm taking the camera so I can capture the sure to be precious moments of Steven at bat and hopefully a happy cheering Dean.

Yesterday when Hubster got home from work we all went out mushroom picking. We went to our favorite spots and found a few shrooms here and there, but they need a good dose of sunshine to pop up. When we got home we looked around our property and we hit the jackpot. We filled up the rest of our bag and ended up having a huge batch of battered mushrooms for dinner. Yum!

We had a quiet Easter with just the little family. Since it was RAINING the Easter bunny hid the eggs around the house. Dean got so excited when he found an egg and he actually found the harder to find eggs before Steven. For dinner I decide to go a different route from the usual ham dinner and made a seafood fare. I cooked shrimp and made scallops for the first time. I don't know where I went wrong or even if I did do something wrong but the scallops sucked. Hubster swears I've had scallops before, but I honestly don't remember ever eating them. I do know I don't plan on having them again anytime soon. Hubster, bless his heart tried battering and frying the scallops to see if we could eat them that way, but, uh no they weren't better.

And speaking of seafood...I'm going to go laze in my recliner and watch Deadliest C@tch before hitting the hay. Later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm delurking to let you know I'm reading and I like your blog. I'm in Florida, so I eat scallops all the time. I just saute them in plenty of butter and garlic, making sure to let the butter get brown. Yum!

Jo said...

Thank you! I was eyeballing the scallops at the market the other day thinking I should give it one more try. One thing I wondered is how long do you cook them?

Anonymous said...

Well, they're done when they lose their tranlucency and turn opaque, for me that usually happens in just under 15 minutes on med. high heat, but it will depend on their size. I like bay scallops because they're harvested locally and I get good prices; they're also smaller and have a more delicate flavor. I don't like the big sea scallops as much. If you over cook them (any size), they may toughen up a bit. Some people don't like that, though it doesn't bother me. That's probably because I grew up in the midwest on freezer burnt seafood and didn't know the difference until a few years ago. Good luck!