Saturday, February 18, 2006

Baby Its Freezing Out There

I should have known. Earlier this week I made a comment to Hubster that it felt like Spring. I was even trying to think of anything that I could do around the yard this weekend. Well Thursday night we hit 11 below and it was 9 below this morning. It sure doesn't feel like Spring anymore. We have had beautiful sunny days and starry nights which has made the spring fever bearable.
I got interrupted while writing this entry by an unexpected visitor. The boys were playing ninjas and during there hi-yaws and wwaaaa's I heard Steven say "Dog!". I assumed they were pretending they had a ninja dog when Dean screamed "Moooommmmmmaaaa! Dog!!!" I have to say I was mighty surprised when I turned and here stands a chocolate lab in the livingroom. The boys jumped to the top of the couch terrified. My adrenaline was definitely pumping with a strange dog in my house. I have to laugh because thanks to one of the journals I read I knew I had to act in control and show dominance. (Thanks Bev!) The dog didn't seem aggressive, but just in search of water, food or heat, probably all of the above. She has a collar on so I grabbed her and literally had to drag her to the door and shove her out. She immediately jumped on the door and began scratching and whining. She got in through our kitchen door which hasn't been latching well with the change of weather so I ran to that door to get it latched and locked. I made a few calls to neighbors and no one knew of the dog. I called the Sheriff's Office, but they had no lost dog reports. Hubster was at a friends house so I called him to tell him to get his ass home like now. While I was on the phone with my sil, the door once again popped open (apparently I didn't turn the lock the right way). Since she simply acted relieved to be in where it is warm and not aggressive I let her stay in until Hubster got home. Of course while we waited I couldn't help but give her some water and food, which was not the sight Hubster expected to see when he came barging through the door. Within 5 minutes of Hubster's arrival Dean announced she shall be named Molly. Oh yeah, Hubster loved that. He thought he knew who she belonged to so he loaded "Molly" into the pickup and drove over to there house. Its stupid to think that within a 40 minute time span I was already planning on running into town to get dog food, disinfecting Griz's dog dishes and planning when I could get her to the vet.
I have to tell you when Hubster walked back into the house and "Molly" was still shadowing him I felt happy. The people he thinks she belongs to weren't home, so I guess she is spending the night until we can reach them in the morning. She did get too playful with Dean to the point he screamed and cried. I've told the boys no rough housing or running just in case this would set Molly off. I took her out with me when I took the garbage to the dumpster so she could do her business and I can tell you it was nice having a four legged companion along. When I put Dean down for bed just now I asked him if he was scared of Molly and he said "No Mama, I wike her." So I'm predicting broken hearts come morning when Molly goes home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful!