Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Handicap in Bowling

This past Saturday I took my second lesson from Dave the bowling coach. He changed my release so I can get a more aggressive hook and improve my accuracy. He also worked on getting me to bend my knees more during my release. I did okay during the lesson, but Saturday night I was brought to tears with the pain in my right knee. I injured my knee in high school while playing basketball and have had problems with it off and on through the years, but never like this. Turning 40 really didn't bother me, but what is bothering me is my body is starting to show the wear and tear I've put it through. Since I manage the bowling alley and love the sport, I'm always looking for ways to improve my game...hence the lessons. Sunday I woke up feeling depressed. Have I, at 40, peaked in my game. Do I now look forward to my average declining year after year now? I stopped in to talk to Dave before he left and tearfully told him how I was feeling. He felt terrible that he may have pushed my knee far past what it can handle and assured me that I could continue to improve my game even if I can't get down more at the line. After I talked to him I felt a little better, but it still got me to thinking that unless I start taking preventative measures my body will keep failing me one way or another. So I ordered a bow flex. Hubster wasn't too sure he wanted to spend that much money for a weight machine, but I convinced him into it. Of course it could have something to do with the improved sex life I mentioned that changed his mind. Hopefully building up some muscle in my thighs will help support my knee better. Plus it will give Hubster and I something else to do together.
Before I went bowling tonight I dug out my old knee brace and took a bunch of Tylenol. I tried to bend a little more than normal, but mostly concentrated on the new release. My knee is a little achy tonight which I can handle. I ended up bowling a 555 series so I felt pretty good all the way around. My goal is to end the season with the highest women's average for the house. Currently I'm the third highest with a 172. The highest is a 174, so I can do this. Heck maybe I should set my goals higher and shoot for the highest in men and women! Eh...the men's highest is 217, I think 175 sounds just fine.

No comments: