Friday, August 05, 2005

It'll Be Okay

In less than a month, my 5 yr. old Steven will be starting Kindergarten. Steven is so excited and ready to go...myself not so ready. I feel like this is the point when my little boy will cease to be mine and mine alone. I'm afraid the hugs and kisses given so freely now won't be so cool anymore. Maybe its just that I'm afraid Mom won't be needed as much. Thats a hard pill to swallow. But swallow I will and smile as it slowly goes down. A couple of years ago, the school district decided to have Kindergarten classes go full days, five days a week. There is an option for partial days, but Steven is an intelligent, social, busy boy who will thrive on the full days. Many of the kids in the past years have come out of kindergarten reading. I am so excited for Steven to start reading. I sit and read to the boys quite often. Currently we are reading the Little House on The Praire book series. I lived and breathed LHOP when I was little, hell I even wanted to change my name to Laura when I was in the 4th grade. I gave up after a week of haughtily reminding teachers, friends, and family, "My name is Laura!!" Just wasn't worth the hassle. Lately Steven has been sitting down with Dean and reading to him. It makes me laugh since Dean being the 3yr. old he is, he doesn't exactly sit still and listen.
School will be good for Steven to get around kids his own age. The Hubster and I are constantly having to remind him he is a child not an equal. Of course Hubster and I sometimes disagree on appropriate activities for a 5 yr. old. We are a big snowmobile freaks, so naturally the boys have been on them since they could sit up on their own. They have their own helmets and gear. The other day, Steven comes in all excited and asks me for his helmet. Sometimes Steven will wear his helmet on his bicycle and tries out his latest constructed jumps which usually consists of maybe a 3" jump. So I give him his helmet and went back to making dinner. Suddenly I hear a motor....what the hell....and when I look out I see this.

Now had I known exactly what was going on I would have insisted on long pants and shirt. He did great and was a very excited & proud little boy. I can tell you I was a very relieved Mom when that mini bike was loaded back into our friends truck and taken back to his home. My heart isn't ready.

No comments: