Sunday, August 14, 2005

Its Fire Season

I was out working in the yard today enjoying the cooler morning temperature when all the sudden I smelled smoke. Now we live in a wooded area, so this is not a smell you want invading your nostrils. When I looked out I realized everything had an orange glow. I could no longer see the blue sky nor the mountain behind our house. After a few frantic phone calls, I found that the smoke was coming from fires about 90 miles away.



I hate this time of year. When the fire danger gets extreme the state puts restrictions on campfires, off road vehicles, smoking and such. I gladly abide by these rules because I love this land. But then you get the guy like I followed the other day, happily flicking his ashes from his cigarette out his window. I took down his license plate number just in case a fire was started. People just don't think.
Mother nature hasn't been too kind either. We have had several storms pass through, but just lightning and no rain. One thing I love about living where we do is that any given time you can step outside and take a deep breath of fresh mountain air. Now I find I step outside regularly to smell for that dreaded sign that disaster is coming.

No comments: