Thursday, August 11, 2005

Somebody Slap Me

I absolutely love doing home improvement and decorating projects. Hubster on the other hand does not share my enthusiasm. So I taught myself how to work with tools. I have even built a 5 foot kitchen cabinet, with 4 drawers that I was quite proud of doing. This January we moved into a new house and I love it. But of course I've had to make it mine. So I've painted the livingroom and my oldest sons bedroom. My next project is the bathroom. When I first saw the house I wasn't quite sure what to think of the bathroom. The lady who once lived here was into roses. Rose wall paper border, curtains covered in roses, even shelf liner with roses. Gah! I am not a flowery girl by any means. Put it this way, I'm getting impatient with Hubster to get his deer head bleached and mounted. Enough said. So the bathroom. She went all out with the flowers. Here, see..

This is mainly the boys bathroom, so I didn't think the flowers quite fit. This may sound stupid, but I haven't changed the decor because everyone who sees the bathroom absolutely loves the wallpaper. Heh? Now I definitely do things for me and my family only, but it got me to wondering. What was I not seeing in this wallpaper? I know people weren't just saying it, because when I tell people I'm removing it, they gasp "NO! How could you? Its beautiful!" Even men have stated its kinda cool.
So what do I do? Yup, I buy wallpaper stripper and I get started.

What the hell was I thinking? I have never loathed something as much as I HATE this wallpaper! I would rather go strolling in the grocery store naked! Okay maybe not.... Anyway you get the idea. If I were to run into the sweet little rose loving granny who lived here before me, well I...I'd make her stroll through the grocery store naked! Yeah! Strip that granny!
So I have one wall complete. I excitedly called the boys in to see what I was doing to their bathroom. Dean ran the other way thinking mean old mama was going to make him sit on the dreaded potty chair for poopy time again. Steven, my boy, Steven...looked at the wall.
Steven "Mom where are the flowers?"
Me "I'm taking the wall paper down and I'm going to paint your bathroom a really cool shade of green."
Steven (lip quivers)
Me "what's wrong honey?"
Steven "I love the flowers!"

Gah!

No comments: