Saturday, October 08, 2005

Birthday Bash!


Steven had his birthday party today at where else...the bowling alley. This was his first party inviting friends and I was a little nervous nobody would show up. Ten kids from his class showed plus some of the parents so I was very relieved. Everyone seemed to have a great time. Some of us parents bowled which made it a little easier to get to know each other instead of sitting around trying to think up conversation. Steven really has an awesome group of kids in his class. I kept looking at the boys and girls interacting and couldn't help but to wonder what this scene will look like in 10 years. The boys will be past the awkward puberty stage with deeper voices. The girls will be acting all giggly trying to impress the boys. The scary part is that 10 years will pass before I know it.
I went a little overboard on the size of the cake. Steven sent out 18 invitations to his classmates and parents were also invited. The bakery had a smaller cake that would cut into twenty 2" squares so I went with the bigger cake that would feed forty 2" squares. I sent cake home with most of the families so it worked out in the end, but still a lot of cake. Oh well I guess its better to have too much than not have enough for all.

Dean usually loves to bowl but he felt it was more important to guard the cake. I caught him a couple of times lifting the lid and swiping his finger in the frosting. He had a very hard time waiting for the kids to finish bowling. He wanted cake now! Hubster kept him as busy as he could playing video games but Dean didn't leave his post as cake guard for very long. When the cake was served Dean didn't eat very much of his making me wonder how many times he snuck a lick when I wasn't watching.
All in all it was a very fun and successful day. Now I've got to convince Steven that his birthday has come and gone. He asked me tonight when we got home if we could go to the beach for his birthday tomorrow. He was a little bummed when I explained the celebrating was over until next year.
He got some really cool toys so hopefully they'll keep him entertained for the day. I don't know what in the hell these manufacturers are thinking with their packaging though. If you haven't had to get a toy out of a package lately you're lucky. I know they have to protect from shoplifting, but this is ridiculous. One toy Steven got involved using a screw driver for a plastic screw. Another one had 7 twist ties for each truck, there were 4 trucks in the box. Do the math. After struggling with 4 ties I finally wised up and got the wire cutters. What is this world coming to when you have to get tools to open up a $6.00 toy. It wouldn't be so bad except usually you have a very impatient child standing at your side asking "Is it out yet? Mom I want my truck! Mom don't you have it out yet?" about 50 times in a row. Kinda takes the joy out of opening presents. Reminds me I better set the tool box by the couch for Christmas morning, we may need the hack saw.

No comments: