Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Snow Birds Are Flying South

Tonight we went to a family dinner at my Dad and Mom's house. We all get together this time of year to have one last get together before my parents head south for the winter. Every year gets a little easier for me knowing I won't get to see Dad and Mom for 6 months but its still hard. I can't even imagine if we always lived far apart. I know they enjoy their time down there and that is what matters. Its hard for Mom because she misses her grandkids and seeing them grow and change. So it is time to burn the phone lines once again. Dean will be able to communicate over the phone better. Last year he would hold the phone out to show Granny toys and TV shows thinking she can see through the phone. Granny goes along with it and eventually figures out what he was talking about. With Steven being in school he'll have lots of stories to share with Granny and Papa. With a little help from me he'll be able to write letters to them. Dean will send his pretty paintings along with the letters from brother. I'll send pictures or else I'll hear about it.
I always have to laugh at Mom when we get talking about the weather. She will comment that it is chilly down there "It only got to 58 degrees today. I had to wear a sweater." Meanwhile I look at my thermometer reading 29 degrees. Trade you! Heehee. But they get days of flash floods and wind so I can deal with the envy. Plus I love that come spring when the tree buds are forming and flowers are peaking through the dirt I get to look forward to my parents arrival home with the new season. They get to see how much the boys have grown which makes me more aware of the changes I otherwise may not have noticed. And this time apart makes us not take each other for granted.
So come Friday I'll hug Mom and Dad goodbye and wish them a safe trip. The snow will come and holidays will pass with lots of time spent on the phone. So when the daffodils show themselves so will two tanned faces.

No comments: